Hi Hans, On Do 10 Sep 2026 20:09:18 CEST, Hans wrote:
Dear list, I am following Debian-Edu since some time andalso looking at other school software. Thus, I would like to suggest an idea to you, and it would be nice, if you would like to think of it gently. By comparing school software, I discovered several suites, some commercial (which I personally do not want), half-commercial like IServ and free and open-source software, which I prefer like Debian-EDU.I also discovered "lernstick" from the suisse, which is debian based and free.My idea is, what if we could merge these two softwares to a new suite.
We have heard this idea before. The overall challenge is: the idea is not sufficient, it needs someone to start working on it. And it needs will people to cooperate on this.
After a quick look at Lernstick documentation, there is some stuff, that we could cooperate on. However, as Debian Edu requires to have all software provided in Debian, the Lernstick developers would have to change their workflow and move all their activities into Debian. This is an entry hurdle as becoming a Debian Developer is not a trivial endeavour.
The openness from our side exists, to support getting both solutions closer together, but it would require quite an effort on the Lernstick's team's side. We could also help with getting software into Debian and sponsoring uploads regularly, but we will not soften our requirement that all software in Debian Edu must be a package in Debian.
Debian-EDU is used for the administration of all school related things, and lernstick and lernstick-exam is used for the children.
Ok, this is indeed a slightly different approach from what I assume when reading the first lines.
In fact, we have received the request to integrate other Linuxes (e.g. NixOS) into Debian Edu networks. This is doable and maybe we will work on this in the near future in a sponsored project context.
So, the idea is good, but I'd be happy if you or someone else would pick up the ball and start kicking it around and become playful with it.
As Lernstick can be built by the schools themselve and thus can be easily adjusted to the needs of the school, the debian-edu server can be used as aflexible and stable system for all the other things (even backup or whatever).
Yep, that's a possible scenario.
Of course, I do not believe here in Germany it will be used, because the political decision here in Germany is using IServ and the clients are Apple IPads (can it be more expensive???)
We are in contact with schools and municipalities in various European countries. There is an interest in a community driven, but enterprise backed project for IT solutions, so I am quite positive and hopeful.
But I want it cheap, so with "Debian-EDU + Lernstick" we can offer a most cheap, but mighty system, highjly flexible, as the lernstick can be built for all ages (from children to students) and it can run on all computers. The few costs for an USB-stick will make parents haooy, too
Please note that "cheap" is the wrong angle of looking at such a setup for most schools. An individidual school can be lucky because one of their teachers is very talented in Linux and can set up a solution for them. But this does not scale for municipalities. And if you don't have expertise in-house, you need to hire consultants and supporters. And this is equally costful like it is in the propriotary software world.
We will also be able to use open documents, and not proprietrary like in the Apple world.
Yeah, that would be good.
Personally I see many advantages in my suggestion, but I am not sure, if you agree. It is clear for me, that you might prefer your very own environment.
I see it similarly and I agree, but it needs someone to work on your ideas. (You yourself?)
So, please, it is just an idea, which I lwanted kindly introduce to you. If there is no interest, just drop me a line. Thank you very much for reading this!
Thanks for your mail and sorry for the long time it took me to reply! Mike -- mike gabriel aka sunweaver (Debian Developer) mobile: +49 (1520) 1976 148 landline: +49 (4351) 486 14 27 GnuPG Fingerprint: 9BFB AEE8 6C0A A5FF BF22 0782 9AF4 6B30 2577 1B31 mail: [email protected], http://sunweavers.net
pgpGMB68DKPm6.pgp
Description: Digitale PGP-Signatur

