ACLU asks court to throw out Jerry Falwell's Web site lawsuit
[AP] Attorneys for Gary Cohn, an Illinois man whose Web sites ridicule the 
Rev. Jerry Falwell have asked a federal judge in Lynchburg, Va., to dismiss 
a lawsuit brought by the pastor that attempts to take control of the domain 
names.
The American Civil Liberties Union of Virginia, which is representing Cohn 
with consumer advocacy group Public Citizen of Washington D.C., said that 
the site deserves the same First Amendment protection as cartoon editorials 
in newspapers and late-night comedy shows.
"What we're talking about is the right of a citizen to speak out to 
criticize a public figure," said Kent Willis, executive director of 
Virginia's ACLU. "Jerry Falwell is a very public figure."
Cohn, of Highland Park, Ill., created www.jerryfalwell.com and 
www.jerryfallwell.com last year in response to Falwell's public comments 
following the Sept. 11 terrorist attacks. Falwell claimed feminists, 
homosexuals and abortion-rights advocates provoked God to "lift the 
curtain" of divine protection on America.
"I decided we can't just let someone say those things and get away with 
it," Cohn said. Though Falwell later apologized for his comments, Falwell's 
lawyers now claim that Cohn's site, which spoofs the Lynchburg minister 
with cartoons and sardonic editorials, is libelous and illegally uses the 
pastor's trademark.
The World Intellectual Property Organization in Geneva, Switzerland, 
rejected a similar complaint in June, noting that Falwell never officially 
tried to trademark his name. Falwell later sued Cohn in federal court in 
Lynchburg, where Falwell's ministry is based.
Cohn's lawyers also are arguing that Falwell has no right to bring the case 
in Virginia, since Cohn is not licensed to do business in Virginia and does 
not specifically target Virginia residents.
"The only reason Falwell filed suit in Virginia is because he lives there," 
Public Citizen attorney Paul Alan Levy said in a statement. "Yet Falwell is 
hauling Cohn to a court hundreds of miles from Cohn's home.
"If the court were to hear this case, it would set a dangerous precedent. 
People who type their thoughts about public figures on a computer would 
think twice if they knew they would have to defend themselves at any spot 
on the globe where the figure happened to be."
Douglas: They Were Out To Get Max
Why did JM Productions and Seymore Butts seemingly walk away from their 
obscenity cases with a mere smack on the hand whereas Max Hardcore is going 
to have to make a fight of it. According to Max's attorney Jeffrey Douglas, 
it's real personal. Here's what Douglas had to say in an 8/21 interview.
Douglas: The reason that [Max] got selected for prosecution is because 
there are two or three cops, one of whom is dying, but anyway there are two 
or three cops in what used to be the organized crime vice division, 
pornography unit. There are a couple of guys there who fucking hate [Max]. 
And that's how he got to come to the top of the heap. That's one of the 
things you got to live with. The fact that he makes European versions- 
they've seen the European versions and they wanted to prosecute him for 
that. The fact that not the DA, not the CA is willing to do that, offends 
the cops. So they latched on to this.

Reply via email to