Hello David,

I am going to respond to your query via CTI https://www.cotyroneireland.com , 
aware that you are a subscriber Elwyn responded to your Newtownstewart query 
recently; Co. Donegal researchers also follow this site so it may be of 
interest to others.

Have you referred to Lindel Buckley’s remarkable Donegal Genealogy Resources 
website http://donegalgenealogy.com/? There is a page dedicated to Inch parish 
genealogy. I have contributed several files for the parish, but the data 
relating to townlands will be important to your research . I have searched the 
entire site and am unable to locate any reference to Fermal, but Fargans will 
be Farraghans and Kernaghan is Carnaghan: the latter two are both 
subdenominations (an area within a townland). A document of 1815 with phonetic 
spelling offers a challenge for researchers 200 years into the future, so I 
guess is a reason for the lack of assistance from the mailing list.

Trust this is helpful,
Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia


Sent from Mail<https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986> for Windows 10

________________________________
From: David Prater <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, July 10, 2019 3:40:23 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Inch Island, County Donegal Place Names

Hi Len,

With your knowledge of County Donegal and how to locate Irish place names, 
could you please help me?

I have a letter/legal document from 1819 that mentions the following three 
places on Inch Island, County Donegal: Fermal, Fargance, and Kermaghan.  Nobody 
seems to know if these are towns, farms or just misspellings.  Do any of these 
sound familiar to you?

Any suggestions on how I might lean more or how to identify what these place 
names refer to?  (I have already contacted people on a County Donegal mail list 
and nobody there seemed to know much more.)

Best regards,

David Prater



_______________________________________________
CoTyroneList Mailing List
Mailing List Email Address: [email protected]
Change Your Preferences: 
http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com
Mailing List Archive: https://goo.gl/mQCKrY

Reply via email to