Possibly worth bearing in mind that whilst there were direct ships from Ireland to Canada and elsewhere throughout the 1800s, there were far more from Liverpool. Liverpool acted as a clearing house for migrants from all over Europe, and had far more departures than from Ireland. Competition for the passengers was fierce with ships agents routinely throwing in cost of the short passage from Ireland to Liverpool free (together with dodgy accommodation in Liverpool), as part of the ticket price. Many more migrants in the 1800s left Ireland via Liverpool than left directly from Ireland. Significant numbers also left via Glasgow. For background, see:
http://donegalancestry.com/donegal/emigration/ Elwyn On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 1:20 PM Ron McCoy via CoTyroneList < [email protected]> wrote: > Hi Lola > > I hope you are well and had a good summer. I have searched the Quebec > Mercury for information on the shipping news as youi suggested and it was > wonderful. I believe my family probably took one of G.H. Parke ships as > their line made the most crossings and some such as the Dumfries Shire is > listed as having 276 steerage passengers. I have tried to access the > Belfast newsletter as you suggested in hopes more information is there but > I can only find subscriptions to it? Could you tell me if it is a paid or > free site you are using? I also wonder if you know anything about the G.H. > Parke co. as there seems to be nothing on line about them? Thank you for > your help. > > cheers > > Ron McCoy > > On 2018-08-18 11:07 AM, Iola Whiteside via CoTyroneList wrote: > > Hi Ron, Iola here. I just google both the Belfast Newsletter archives > and the Quebec Mercury. The webpage for the Mercury is in French but the > newspaper printed in English. It is east to navigate. Just click on the > calendar ikon on the right side, find the year, month etc. I took a quick > look and the ships arriving in 1828 are listed. I hope this helps and let > me know if I can be of further assistance. > Iola. > > *From:* Ron McCoy via CoTyroneList <[email protected]> > *Sent:* Friday, August 17, 2018 10:44 PM > *To:* [email protected] > *Cc:* Ron McCoy <[email protected]> > *Subject:* Re: [CoTyroneMailingList] sailing information > > > Hi All > > Thanks for the information. The lack of shipping list is a problem and as > has been noted travel between Canada and Ireland was not registered. A real > problem... I have tried the steam ship lines from Quebec to Montreal with > out success but they also ran Bateaux service which is how I assume they > must have come. I think the suggestion of the Belfast News, The Quebec > Mercury or the JJ Cooke shipping records might give me the names of ships > that would have sailed out of Belfast and arrived in Quebec in the time I > suspect. That would be a great help. > > Iola would you have the online site that these can be found on? Thank you > all for your help > > Cheers > > Ron McCoy > > On 2018-08-17 9:33 AM, Elizabeth Vervaeke via CoTyroneList wrote: > > My family came from Brackagh (Errigal Keerogue) > through Londonderry on the Sesosthis in 1847 . I was able to find their > passenger list from the JJ Cooke Shipping records . There are many ships > listed. > Perhaps it’s worth a search here ... > > https://www.olivetreegenealogy.com/ships/qu_seth1847.shtml > > Kind Regards > > On Fri, Aug 17, 2018 at 9:30 AM Ron McCoy via CoTyroneList < > [email protected]> wrote: > >> Hi all >> I have tried several times to find sailing records for the year 1828 >> from Belfast to Canada. This is the year I believe my family and their >> neighbours left Tyrone and immigrated. However I am told there is no >> passenger records in the early years of the 1800's. I was wondering if >> there was a list some where of just ships names that sailed even if >> there was not passenger lists. I am confident that they sailed after >> iceberg season and arrived in the Montreal area around the end of August >> or beginning of September of 1838. If I had a list of ships sailing out >> of Belfast I might be able to deduce which ship they sailed on? If >> anyone has experience or an idea where ships names or records that might >> have sailed from Belfast it would be of great interest to me? >> Cheers >> Ron McCoy >> >> _______________________________________________ >> CoTyroneList mailing list >> [email protected] >> >> http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com >> > -- > *Libby Vervaeke* > [email protected] > > > _______________________________________________ > CoTyroneList mailing > [email protected]http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com > > > ------------------------------ > _______________________________________________ > CoTyroneList mailing list > [email protected] > > http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com > > > _______________________________________________ > CoTyroneList mailing > [email protected]http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com > > > _______________________________________________ > CoTyroneList mailing list > [email protected] > > http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com >
_______________________________________________ CoTyroneList mailing list [email protected] http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com

