Hello:

My name is James Coyle, from Toronto, Canada.

My father is Hugh James Coyle, born in Carrick, near Drumquin, Co. Tyrone, on 
May, 16, 1931.

He attended school at Loughmulharn national school from about 1937-44.

After leaving school, I believe he worked at Moffatt's Quarry, among other 
places.

He emigrated from Ireland, first to Scotland in 1948, then to Canada in 1953.

He left Ireland with three friends from the Glen Rd. area - Barney Byrne, Jimmy 
Gallogly and Foncey O'Kane.

Barney and my father settled in Canada, Jimmy Gallogly and Foncey settled in 
New Zealand.

My grandfather was James Coyle, known as Paddy.

I believe he was born Sept. 18, 1898, in the Strabane Workhouse to an unwed 
mother named Margaret Coyle. (U/1898/221/1027/19/352). I am trying to confirm 
this.

My grandmother was Catherine (Cassie) Coyle (nee McCanney), born Jan. 1, 1893, 
in Carrick, to Hugh and Mary McCanney (nee Haughey). (U/1893/207/1010/6/337).

Thanks to records held at the General Register Office of Northern Ireland 
(GRONI), I have been able to obtain a number of documents of family members:

What I have been able to confirm is this:

My grandfather James Coyle married Catherine "Cassie" McCanney on June 11, 
1930. (M/1930/Z1/2542/6/148).

As I mentioned, my grandmother gave birth to my father on May 16, 1931.

Unhappily, due she died five days later, on May 21, 1931. 
(D/1931/207/1010/5/385).

My grandfather remarried on May 18, 1932, to Bridget McCanney.

Bridget, who raised my father, died in October 1951.

My grandfather - who had spent some time working in Scotland - died at Carradoo 
on Dec. 28, 1959. (D/1960/207/1010/6/462).

I am hoping that some of the documentation attached to events later in my 
grandfather's life - his marriages and death, which I have cited above - might 
confirm or disprove that he was indeed born in the Strabane Workhouse.

I am also hoping, though it's a longshot, that someone on the mailing list 
might have a memory of any of my ancestors.

Thank you so much for any help you are able to provide.



James (Jim) Coyle

42 Bowood Ave.

Toronto, Ont.,

Canada.

M4N 1Y4

email: [email protected]<mailto:[email protected]>





_______________________________________________
CoTyroneList mailing list
[email protected]
http://mail.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist_cotyroneireland.com

Reply via email to