Hello Lindsay -

 

I have a copy of a family tree of Carnwaths of Leckpatrick that came from a
PRONI file identified as T2118. It is a negative image and a bit hard to
read but I can figure out most of it. I will scan and send to you off line.
If anyone else is interested please send your e-mail address to me at
jfpolk at comcast.net  and I will send a copy.

 

It traces back to a Patrick Carnwath (b.1747) who married Elizabeth Pollock
of Pollockstown, Leckpatrick, g-granddaughter of Charles Pollock (1660-1737)
who is buried in Leckpatrick in grave site now belonging to Carnwath family.
Patrick was son of James Carnwath of Stonypath, Leckpatrick, who m. a Miss
Walker, and was son of an Andrew Carnwath. 

 

There is a note on the tree as follows: "The Cornwaths appear to have been
settled as farmers in Stoneypath about 1650 onwards and were associated with
Donagheady Presyterian Church. I found for example that Andrew Carnwath was
a ruling Elder or commissioner of Donagheady between the years 1672 & 1700.
Joseph Carnwath left Stoneypath in 1881."

 

I do not find a Sarah Carnwath on the tree but there is one note under John
and William Carnwath, sons of James Carnwath (b.1747, son of Patrick) and
Nancy Wray, which may be relevant  - "in Canada; Mrs Graham is a daughter of
one of these two. She has two sons (one a surgeon, the other an
apothecary)."

A number of Carnwaths migrated to Canada. I don't see any who headed for
Australia or NZ.

 

John Polk

Maryland USA

 

 

 

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Dave Mitchell
Sent: Monday, June 12, 2017 10:22 AM
To: 'Lindsay Graham'; [email protected]
Subject: Re: [CoTyroneIreland] New Content from Len Swindley & GRAHAM
research

 

Hi Lindsay

 

Sending you some notes on the origin of the Carnwath family in Leckpatrick -
may help you.

 

I think there was a John Carnwath at Killymallaght in co. Londonderry in
1831 (spelling not clear in the 1831 Census).

 

Sincerely

 

Dave Mitchell

Cape Town

South Africa

 

From: [email protected]
[mailto:[email protected]] On Behalf Of Lindsay
Graham
Sent: 12 June 2017 10:17 AM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [CoTyroneIreland] New Content from Len Swindley & GRAHAM
research

 

I have to add my thanks for all that Len Swindley has contributed to the CTI
website.  I have looked through some of Len's files and intend to look
through many more of them.  You have put a great deal of thought and effort
into this work, Len, and I certainly appreciate it, even if I haven't found
any nuggets of gold -- yet!!

Like Susan, my plan is to search whatever files I can find for any mention
of my GRAHAM ancestors.  My great grandparents, William GRAHAM and Sara
CARNWATH, were married in Leckpatrick, Strabane in 1855 and left almost
immediately for Australia.  Any likelihood of a connection with your
GRAHAMs, Susan?

Lindsay Graham
Canberra, Australia

On 11/6/17 18:39, [email protected] wrote:

Hello Len

I have read through everything that you have posted to the List as both my
ancestors (GRAHAM and McCLUNG) and my husbands ancestors ( MOORHEAD and
STEWART WATT) are proving very difficult to confirm. 

So you will be pleased to hear that I have copied every reference to these
family names in Co Tyrone in the hope that one day I can match them up with
ancestors we DO have given names and dates for. One day I hope I will be
able to tell you that I have actually found a match!

Extremely grateful for your data, particularly as it is so well presented
and easy to read.

Thank you Len

Susan Wann in Auckland, NZ  

 

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows
10

 

From: Len Swindley <mailto:[email protected]> 
Sent: Sunday, 11 June 2017 7:47 PM
To: Susan Wann <mailto:[email protected]> 
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: RE: [CoTyroneIreland] CoTyroneIreland.com - New Content -
DonagheadyParish Church Marriages 1845-70

 

Hello Susan,

At 41 pages, am unsure if Donagheady Parish Church civil registration
marriages is my largest file of transcribed marriages; it may be, but
certainly not my largest submission to CTI. Some of my indexes to the
individual Tyrone parishes' tithe applotment books amount to in excess of
sixty pages and there were a couple that exceeded seventy.

 

Actually, the Donagheady file consists of in excess of 200 marriages: when
the rector (or his clerk) reached the first hundred, instead of continuing,
he reverted back to #1; thus #101 is actually #201.

 

I would be pleased to hear from researchers who have benefitted from this
data.

Len Swindley, Melbourne, Australia

 

Sent from Mail <https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=550986>  for Windows
10

 

From: Susan Wann <mailto:[email protected]> 
Sent: Sunday, 11 June 2017 10:36 AM
To: Jim McKane <mailto:[email protected]> 
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Re: [CoTyroneIreland] CoTyroneIreland.com - New Content -
Donagheady Parish Church Marriages 1845-70

 

HUGE it is! THank you Len. Is this a record number of entries you have
posted? Great work from you. 

Susan Wann

On Sunday, June 11, 2017, Jim McKane <[email protected]> wrote:

Donagheady Parish Church (St. James' Church of Ireland), Earl's Gift,
Donemana Marriages 1845-70
<http://www.cotyroneireland.com/marriages/donagheady4.html>  

 

Thanks again to Len Swindley for another HUGE addition to CTI with over 100
marriages!!




Jim McKane

South Bruce Peninsula, Ontario

 

 





_______________________________________________
CoTyroneList mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist

 

_______________________________________________
CoTyroneList mailing list
[email protected]
http://lists.cotyroneireland.com/mailman/listinfo/cotyronelist

Reply via email to