I'm a big fan of ionic fixatives, and I went searching for the Neschen 
replacements in 2014. I posted about them on the DistList here:
http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/2014/0099.html
I'll copy and paste the pertinent information that I posted then:

I found a supplier for the anionic fixative Mesitol NBS (formerly
from Bayer):  Tanatex Chemicals, who kindly sent our lab a free
sample in powder form.  They are online at

    <URL:http://tps.tanatexchemicals.com/contacts/usa-canada/>

>From literature and experience, I have found that Mesitol is often
an excellent choice for violet inks and copying pencil.

I also found a supplier for what was formerly known as Sandofix WE.
It is now called Cartafix WE and is supplied by the new company
Archroma (formerly Clariant, and formerly Sandoz.)  I tracked them
down in Charlotte, NC, and they sent a free sample of Cartafix WE
(and also Cartafix SWE, which is less suitable).  Their contact
information is currently still listed under the old Clariant
website.  My contact Gordon Gray gave me permission to share his
email address.

    Archroma U.S., Inc. Paper Solutions
    4000 Monroe Road
    Charlotte, NC 28205
    USA
    +1 704-331-7192
    Mobile: +1 704-905-3112
    gordon.gray<-a t->archroma< . >com

However, I have yet to find the cationic fixative Rewin EL.  Rewin
EL was made by CHT/Bezema, but I contacted their affiliate in the
USA, Apexical, and was told that they no longer handle that product
and it is not available in the USA.  I heard from representatives in
Germany and the UK that Rewin EL is no longer being made, but that
they do have Rewin CV which they thought would suit my purposes.
They passed my query back to Apexical in the USA, but I haven't
heard back from them.

The Neschen universal fixative combining both cationic and anionic
fixatives (suspension consisting of 1.2% Mesitol NBS and 6% Rewin
EL) is no longer available, but I suspect one might be able to mix
it oneself.

Grace White
Paper Conservator
Ackland Art Museum
The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
919-843-3680 | [email protected]
ackland.org

------------------------------

Message: 10
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2018 09:31:15 -0400
From: Kristi Moore <[email protected]>
To: [email protected]
Subject: [Consdistlist] Stabilizing water-soluble ink: please help

I have a mid-20th century poster/family tree that has been filled in over 
generations. There are 30+ kinds of ink used on both sides of the paper all 
over the color spectrum, as well as old masking tape, cellophane tape, and 
white-out.
My client wants to save the poster, and while I am also providing her a digital 
copy of it, I need to process this document completely. I do not have the 
capability to do non-aqueous processing at this time, though I am open to 
forming a partnership with a mid-Atlantic organization that may be mutually 
beneficial.

Multiple inks have tested to be water soluble. I?ve found the publications on 
treating these with cationic and anionic solvents, but cannot find a Rewin or 
Mesitol distributor here in the U.S.  I have contacted Neschen to inquire about 
the stabilizing solution (which is supposed to be a solution with both Mesitol 
and Rewin) they use during the B?ckeberg process, but have not had a response. 
I have also reached out to other individual conservators for advice, to no 
avail. I understand that there is likely a community-wide resistance to going 
to such lengths for a single poster, and that financially it is most sensible 
to just image the item and allow it to degrade, but as it is a precious family 
heirloom, I have agreed to go to whatever lengths necessary to preserve it.

Please, let me know what you use to stabilize water-soluble inks, or other 
approaches you would use that I may not have considered.

Thanks for your help,
Kristi Moore
Moore Archives & Preservation
703.380.7395
--
*Kristi Moore*
Moore Archives & Preservation LLC
[email protected]
(703) 380-7395


------------------------------



******
Unsubscribe by sending a message to [email protected]
Searchable archives: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/

Reply via email to