I'm searching informations about the old practice of sparkling "sand" (or other 
powders as sawdust) on the inks to help it to dry faster. I know that it is 
very common to find some remains of this "sand" on official archive manuscripts 
(on paper) at least from the sixteen century and I found some interesting 
informations about this practice on eighteen's century texts (only in french 
for the moment). I also know some paintings from the sixteen's to eighteen's 
centuries where the "sander" is visible among the writting tools.

But for the moment I still not found any texts, evidences on manuscripts nor 
representations that testify this practice of drying ink on parchment medieval 
manuscripts.

I would be very happy to have more data about this pratice and also if anybody 
knows when the use of blotting paper started?

Any bibliographical suggestions are welcomed.


Cédric Lelièvre


Atelier Cédric Lelièvre

Conservation préventive et restauration

9, rue du château Fadaise. 30900 Nîmes FRANCE

+33 (0)4 66 77 34 81  - 06 17 63 27 93

[email protected]

<http://aka.ms/weboutlook>
******
Unsubscribe by sending a message to [email protected]
Searchable archives: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/

Reply via email to