I am responding to the question posted by Ghiora Elon re mold.
The removal of Aspergillus, or any other fungi, growing on a painting depends
on how long the fungus grew and in what environment. In a favourable
environment the development may be significant within a week. The conditions
and time will govern the penetration of hyphae into the painting substrate.
Aspergilla are filamentous fungi and if the growth was discovered within a few
days, chances are that surface cleaning will be sufficient.
As a temporary remediation, the mechanical removal of mycelium and fruiting
structure, the mass visible on the surface, could be undertaken with a fine
brush and scalpel, if needed. The application of 70% ethyl alcohol, if the
paint layer can take, should prevent from mould re-occurrence, only if the
environment is stable and does not produce water condensation resulting from
fluctuations.
In a long term, controlling the environment in which the painting will be
housed is the only realistic solution.
I would recommend publications authored by Mary Lou Florian and a few papers
which I published on the subject of fungi.
Hanna Szczepanowska
******
Unsubscribe by sending a message to [email protected]
Searchable archives: http://cool.conservation-us.org/byform/mailing-lists/cdl/