dstoy53 opened a new issue, #14303:
URL: https://github.com/apache/cloudstack/issues/14303

   ### The required feature described as a wish
   
   4.22+ with KVM
   
   The createAccount API makes user creation mandatory, and I feel like that 
coupling should be optional. listAccounts/updateAccount don't directly 
reference the mandatory user so post-creation they're already decoupled (list 
does fetch ALL users for the accounts, but the mandatory user isn't special). 
The "Add Account" UI form also naturally makes the user creation mandatory. A 
createuser option on createAccount defaulting to true may be appropriate to 
avoid calling this a breaking change. 
   
   The terraform resource for accounts is one example where I find this 
inconvenient. I don't need the user (or its password) to be part of the tf 
state of the Account, and Users are their own separate resource in tf. Making 
the user optional will also make tf import for accounts cleaner (when 
implemented). 
   
   For another example, when adding a new tenant I may choose to create a 
Domain, an Account, and a Project (owned by the account), all of which serve an 
organizational unit purpose rather than gating user access (I delete the 
mandatory user post creation). My root admin users log in using Accounts bound 
to ROOT, and those Accounts act as simple user group <-> custom role mappings 
while tenant Projects own the instances/volumes/guest networks/userdata. As a 
root admin, in the UI the project selector feels a lot cleaner for setting 
scope than the SSO account selector (using SSO that way leads to massive user 
sprawl).  For another UI example, creating affinity groups doesn't ask the root 
admin for a target domain/account/project in the form, but using the project 
selector puts me in an appropriate scope to create the affinity group 
correctly. This is just my rbac soup, and it's totally possible I'm solving 
this the wrong way. 


-- 
This is an automated message from the Apache Git Service.
To respond to the message, please log on to GitHub and use the
URL above to go to the specific comment.

To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email protected]

For queries about this service, please contact Infrastructure at:
[email protected]

Reply via email to