sorry, couldn't resist... https://blog.router-switch.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Cisco-7600-router-Like-a-switch.jpg
On Thu, Dec 19, 2019, 02:29 Howard Leadmon <[email protected]> wrote: > I know a while back I had asked about replacing an old 7606/RSP720 I > had handling routing, and I got some great info from the group that was > much appreciated. I ended picking up an ASR1000 series router to use > in place of the 7606, or so I thought, I am wondering now if I actually > still need both. > > The 7606 handled both Layer 2 and Layer 3 functions fairly well for > us, for a great many years, and I guess I just got very used to this > fact. The one thing that always worked really well was that we had a > bunch of Ethernet multi-point links from providers like Zayo and Comcast > that interconnected a bunch of our different locations, as they were L2, > I simply setup a tag that ran to a location and off it went. Most of > the remote locations are all 4500 series switches, so using L2 trunks > made this just work. So on the 7606, I had trunks to the various > providers, as well as local trunks to some of the other switches in the > racks, my transit links, and a few clients. > > So enter the ASR1000 and I thought great, this is a simple change as I > should just be able to copy most of my 7600 configs across into the ASR > and life will be good. The I went to setup a trunked port to bring the > existing equipment into the new ASR. Surprise, unlike the old 7600 > there is no turning a port in the ASR into a switchport, or not that I > can find, so it looks very much like it's an L3 device for the most > part. Well that sure blows up all the vlan interfaces/trunks that were > in the 7600 that will not transfer into the ASR. > > I am wondering if I need to keep the old 7606 in service to handle the > L2 trunking terminations and pasthroughs, and just setup sub-interfaces > on the ASR to handle any of the needed L3's connections that need to do > routing via the ASR, like all of our transit and peering links? > > I actually have a couple L2 trunks, where some of the VLAN's are L3 > connections that I picked up on a VlanXX interface locally, but at the > same time I also have other L2 Vlan's that needed to come in one port, > and then head back out another port to a different device. I have > googled around a bit, but heck if I see anyway to do this mixed > environment on the ASR, where on my old 7600 it just worked, and has > worked well for a great many years. Heck the main reason I am ditching > the old 7606 workhorse is that as we all know carrying full routing > tables to multiple providers, well it's getting very long in the tooth > without cutting out some routes. > > I am sure some here have had to deal with something like this at some > point, so I hope someone can toss me some suggestions or insight on the > best way to handle this, or do I just delegate the new ASR as just a BGP > router, and still pass it all back through the old 7600 for now. > > Thanks as always for any input on how to approach this task.. > > > --- > Howard Leadmon > PBW Communications, LLC > http://www.pbwcomm.com > > _______________________________________________ > cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] > https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp > archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/ > _______________________________________________ cisco-nsp mailing list [email protected] https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/
