Hello again,

Thinking about this, if you've used overlapping IPv4 addresses with "backup
interface" it must had sent a gratuitous ARP. Otherwise you would had
experienced quite the network outage waiting for the neighbors device ARP
entry to timeout, no?

Sam

On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 6:14 PM, Gert Doering <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Aug 13, 2014 at 04:44:49PM +0100, Sam Stickland wrote:
> > I'm exploring redundancy possibilities for a router hand off without a
> > dynamic routing protocol. It's ugly and I'm not going to explain all the
> > details here, but I basically have this configuration on a router:
> >
> > interface Gi1/1
> >   backup interface Gi1/2
> >   ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
> >
> > interface Gi1/2
> >   ip address 192.168.1.1 255.255.255.252
>
> I can't answer your question, but have one of my own - can you do IPv6
> with this nowadays?  "backup interface" suppresses the "I have seen this
> IP config elsewhere!" check, but they forgot to do this for IPv6 as well
> (and I have lost the need to do backup interface, as we moved to
> 6500s and just do port-channels or "put both interface into the same
> vlan, use SVI").
>
> gert
> --
> USENET is *not* the non-clickable part of WWW!
>                                                            //
> www.muc.de/~gert/
> Gert Doering - Munich, Germany
> [email protected]
> fax: +49-89-35655025
> [email protected]
>
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to