On 6/4/13 3:56 PM, Michael Sprouffske wrote:
I attached a new switch to the network and it took down our contact
center that doesn't touch this switch nor does the phone system.  Is
this spanning tree doing this?  I don't see anything in the logs that
show a change in spanning tree.

I also had an employee unplug a switch by accident and it took down
our contact center.  This switch is all by itself and does not
directly touch the phone system nor is it in the path of the phone
system.  I feel like this shouldn't have happened.

You won't see anything in the logs regarding STP changes unless you're running a debug before/during/after and you are logging at the debug level. Do "sh spann det | inc gy changes" on a switch and see if one or more VLANs had a topology change about the time this event happened. If it's more recent than that, the commands after the next paragraph may become quite important.

At this very moment, I would highly suggest that you stop whatever else you're doing and embark on a priority-1 project to assess and define your STP root placement. I suspect, reading between the lines of your post, that you haven't done much to select where it is, and you're experiencing a change in root placement. I'd strongly suggest assessing whether any of the following make sense in your environment:

Global:
spanning-tree vlan 1-4094 pri 8192
spanning-tree portfast default
spanning-tree portfast bpdufilter default

Interface:
no spanning-tree portfast
spanning-tree portfast trunk
spanning-tree bpduguard enable
spanning-tree guard root

pt
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to