Thanks all for the info on UDLD. In my case the test did not work as expected because the port was in auto-negotiate, as it should be. Disabling it allowed the port to stay up even if the other end was down (no light). Enabling the UDLD worked as I would expect in this case. But in the end the auto should be enabled and the UDLD will detect converter issues or patch panel issues.

The one thing I am curious about is, what happens if the other end is not CISCO but the next hop L2 is. Does the UDLD packet (01-00-0C-CC- CC-CC) pass thru? ( I would say yes). I would guess this could cause strange link failures and is why UDLD is not on by default.

The best reference for UDLD is the rfc 5171


Jeff



On Jun 30, 2009, at 11:25 AM, Tim Stevenson wrote:

GE/10G can detect a physical unidirectional fiber link itself, UDLD is not necessary to detect this type of failure.

UDLD is needed for exactly the case you mention, or for cases where one side of the link is "braindead" but does not bring the physical link down (ie, software problem).


HTH,
Tim


At 07:57 AM 6/30/2009, Peter Rathlev stated:

On Tue, 2009-06-30 at 09:59 -0400, Jeff Fitzwater wrote:
> We have had a few strange unidirectional link problems and I thought
> that I could detect them using UDLD.   So I thought I knew how it
> worked.   I
...
> I thought that breaking on side of the fiber would only bring down one
> end LINK since the other still thought it was connected.
>
> I then disabled the UDLD and disconnect the fiber again and still had
> both ends show link failure.

Just tried this between a 3560 12.2(35)SE5 and a 2970 12.2(25)SEC2 with
the same symptoms as you describe; disconnecting one fiber doesn't
trigger UDLD but does give link down in both ends. This is also contrary
to what I expected.

UDLD is useful in another case though: Media converters and EoMPLS
xconnected ports are transparent to UDLD but might not have link
poisoning enabled. With UDLD you would discover the loss of connectivity
to the neighbor even though the link doesn't go down.

As long as the link actually goes down the UDLD isn't needed anyway. :-)

Regards,
Peter



_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/



Tim Stevenson, [email protected]
Routing & Switching CCIE #5561
Technical Marketing Engineer, Cisco Nexus 7000
Cisco - http://www.cisco.com
IP Phone: 408-526-6759
********************************************************
The contents of this message may be *Cisco Confidential*
and are intended for the specified recipients only.

_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to