On Mon, 15 Jun 2009, FF wrote:

On a longer span (140km) link, I have the same setup, with two EDFAs. The input power comes in right around -24dbm. It tests clean mostly, but drops 2 packets out of 10,000 when empty. More traffic, more drops. I figured it was a strength problem (-24dbm is right at the edge). So went in with a some fiber cleaners and rejumpered everything. Got it down to -22dbm which should be well within the tolerances. If anything the problem got worse, not better.

Is this link dispersion compensated? Otherwise that is most likely your problem, 1GE rarely get chromatic dispersion (CD) problems, 10GE much more so.

So now I have two spans, of drastically different lengths, both dropping packets directly related to the amount of traffic moving over them. Only BGP and static routes are on these. All are 6500/SUP32 or SUP720s running 12.22-33SXH5 or SXHI1.

Which indicates a constant BER (bit error rate) which is consistant with CD induced BER.

--
Mikael Abrahamsson    email: [email protected]
_______________________________________________
cisco-nsp mailing list  [email protected]
https://puck.nether.net/mailman/listinfo/cisco-nsp
archive at http://puck.nether.net/pipermail/cisco-nsp/

Reply via email to