On Sun, Oct 04, 2026 at 07:27:05AM +0300, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> > From: Gavin Smith <[email protected]>
> > Date: Sat, 3 Oct 2026 22:38:01 +0100
> > 
> > The claim that files should CRLF line endings should always be treated the
> > same as LF line endings appears to be based on wishful thinking rather than
> > reflecting common practice.
> 
> On input, it happens automatically on Windows when using the default
> text-mode I/O (as opposed to binary I/O, which one must explicitly
> request when opening a file for reading): the libc input functions
> remove the CR characters from CRLF pairs, leaving just newline visible
> to the application.  (The reverse happens by default on output: CR is
> emitted before each newline.)
> 
> I'm mentioning this in case some people in this discussion think
> texi2any must do something with input files to accept CRLF EOLs on
> Windows.  It doesn't have to, unless it for some reason uses binary
> I/O.

That was my understanding, and I thought texi2any already behaved like
this on Windows.

Reply via email to