October 2, 2026 at 7:36 AM, "Mikhail Karpov" <[email protected] 
mailto:[email protected]?to=%22Mikhail%20Karpov%22%20%3Ckarpov.mixail24%40gmail.com%3E
 > wrote:



> 
> On Fri, 02 Oct 2026 11:05:10 jbranso wrote:
> 
>  > I guess what I mean is that after the Hurd boots, "currently the Hurd sets
>  > device entries in /dev/ statically.   For example, I am writing this qoth 
> on
>  > a Hurd machine that is using two /dev/ entries for my filesystem: 
> /dev/wd0s1
>  > for swap and /dev/wd0s5 for my root filesystem. However, /dev/wd0s1 through
>  > /dev/wd0s16 exist on my computer! Once Mikhail's project is done, then the
>  > Hurd will dynamically populate SATA devices at boot time! No more need for
>  > static translators!"
>  >
>  > https://hurd.ion.nu/news/2026-q2.html
> 
> I see what you mean.  After reviewing the proposal to write serverboot v2
> for GNU/Hurd
> https://cgit.git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/web.git/commit/?id=c1f4c8c4272898499a834aaa9bb9c4bcbb9fb18c
> the idea of specifically adding the storeio translator to the bootstrap
> chains doesn't seem optimal to me.  Writing an initramfs translator that
> incorporates all the functionality from that proposal would offer greater
> flexibility and simplify the boot process.
> 
> Thanks,
> 
> -- Mikhail Karpov


serverbootv2 proposal can be read here:  
https://hurd.ion.nu/open_issues/serverbootv2.html

If you are in favor of a initramfs translator, then please discuss it with 
damien and sergey!
They are in favor of serverbootv2.

Samuel is NOT in favor of re-writing the bootstrap, so he is not in favor of 
serverbootV2.

Reply via email to