On Thu, 1 Oct 2026 08:25:44 Samuel Thibault wrote:

> > > > To some extent, yes.  You can find details about overlayfs in GNU/Linux
> > > > here: https://docs.kernel.org/filesystems/overlayfs.html.  This
> > translator
> > > > works in a similar way.
> > >
> > > Ok, but what do we do then? We don't really want to maintain two very
> > > similar translators.
> >
> > Since overlayfs has replaced unionfs in GNU/Linux, it seems more appropriate
> > to adopt the same approach in GNU/Hurd.  Furthermore, Docker relies on
> > overlayfs, so it would be highly beneficial if we could port it in the
> > future.
>
> Ok, but then hurd's unionfs has more features than linux' unionfs,
> notably the stowing feature.

I don't know as much about unionfs as I do about overlayfs, but if this
functionality is highly desirable and doesn't violate overlayfs's
architectural design, I could try adding it to the translator.

Thanks,

--
Mikhail Karpov


Reply via email to