Follow-up Comment #3, bug #68651 (group groff):

I have a new stage to append.

7.  Drop recognition of numeric parameters to the `\O` escape sequence that
are made unnecessary by implementing the earlier stages.

For now, I'm pretty confident that means ditching the troublesome, esoteric,
and syntactically bizarre `\O5`--I have no idea why the escape sequence
parameter is read as a `symbol`, meaning it has the syntax of a GNU _troff_
identifier.  Other escape sequences, like GNU-style special character escape
sequences `\[e aa]`, or parameterized string interpolations like `\*[str foo
bar]`, for example, don't work that way.

Okay, I fib.  I have **an** idea why the escape sequence parsing was done this
way.  It's because the formatter's internals are painfully underdocumented.
The internal parser API is also not 100% internally consistent; see bug
#68586.

Eliminating this syntactical wart from the GNU _troff_ language would be icing
on the cake of delivering this redesign.

[https://www.gnu.org/software/groff/manual/groff.html.node/Suppressing-Output.html
`\O2`, `\O3`, and `\O4` were apparently also implemented solely for _grohtml_
support].

I'm not itching nearly as badly to get rid of those, though simplifying their
behavior might be warranted.  Having "stackable" output suppression _might_ be
something worth preserving.  By the time I get to this stage, maybe someone
will have thought of a good non-HTML application for them, and can spare them
the axe.

If not...my guillotine will be ready--slish chop!


    _______________________________________________________

Reply to this item at:

  <https://savannah.gnu.org/bugs/?68651>

_______________________________________________
Message sent via Savannah
https://savannah.gnu.org/

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

Reply via email to