http://apnews.myway.com/article/20031230/D7VOT9EG0.html

Attorney General John Ashcroft on Tuesday recused himself from the
politically sensitive investigation of who leaked the name of a CIA
operative. The Justice Department quickly named a special prosecutor
to take over the investigation.
The announcement was made by James Comey, the department's new No. 2
official, at the Justice Department. The U.S. attorney in Chicago,
Patrick J. Fitzgerald, will take over the investigation and report to
Comey.

"He has the power and authority to make whatever prosecutorial
judgment he needs," Comey said.

This will not be Fitzgerald's first high-profile investigation. He
oversaw the investigation of former Illinois Gov. George Ryan, a
Republican who was indicted this month on 22 counts of corruption,
including taking free vacations, tax fraud, lying to federal agents
and skimming cash out of his own campaign fund. Ryan pleaded innocent
a week ago.

"The attorney general in an abundance of caution believed that his
recusal was appropriate based on the totality of the circumstances and
the facts and evidence developed at this stage of the investigation,"
Comey said. "I agree with that judgment."

Comey did not say exactly what evidence necessitated the recusal.

He and Assistant Attorney General Chris Wray will supervise the
investigation. "It is not in the public interest to move this matter
entirely from the Department of Justice," Comey said.

Comey said he had a simple mandate for Fitzgerald: "Follow the facts
wherever they lead and do the right thing all of the time."

Investigators want to know who leaked the name of Valerie Plame, an
undercover CIA officer, to syndicated columnist Robert Novak in July.
Plame is married to former Ambassador Joseph C. Wilson, who has said
he believes his wife's identity was disclosed to discredit his
assertions that the Bush administration exaggerated Iraq's nuclear
capabilities to build the case for war.

The leaker could be charged with a felony if identified.

The FBI has interviewed more than three dozen Bush administration
officials, including political adviser Karl Rove and press secretary
Scott McClellan.

The interviews have extended beyond the White House to other
government agencies. The Defense and State departments and the CIA
itself also are part of the probe.

The focus, however, remains on the White House, two law enforcement
officials said on condition of anonymity. While the initial, informal
interviews have yielded no major breaks, the FBI is satisfied that the
dozen agents assigned to the probe are making progress and have not
encountered any stalling tactics, the officials said Thursday.

So far, no grand jury subpoenas have been issued, they said.

Wilson said he had no idea why Ashcroft chose to recuse himself now.
He speculated that Ashcroft, who has long ties to members of the
president's staff, simply wanted to make sure that any findings at the
end of the investigation are not tainted by even the suspicion of
conflict of interest.

"I would have no idea whether a report has emerged that led him to
recuse himself," Wilson said in a telephone interview Tuesday. "I have
always said, as some senators have argued, that the administration
needed to take a good hard look at this."

He declined to express satisfaction over Ashcroft's recusal.

"It's not a question of whether I'm happy about it," he said. "The
crime that was committed was not committed against me or my wife, but
against my country. It's the country that's the victim in this."


xponent

Now At Bat.....Maru

rob


_______________________________________________
http://www.mccmedia.com/mailman/listinfo/brin-l

Reply via email to