I spent the morning at Thickson's Woods and counted 14 warbler species (down from recent reports); no sign of the Prothonotary. Highlights were Canada, Cape May, and Mourning. For those of us struggling to identify the mystery bird in the dell in the northeast corner of the woods (I'm sorry I do not know your names, but I imagine most of you are on the list), it would appear to have been an unusual first year male American Redstart--unusual because of the blue on the back, which I have never seen before. I am not sure whether that is a known variant or indicative of a hybrid. (Poor) images at https://www.flickr.com/photos/39838258@N07/14222040671/in/photostream.
Thickson's Woods is at the far south end of Thickson Road in Whitby. David Welch _______________________________________________ ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization. Send bird reports to [email protected] For information about ONTBIRDS including how to unsubscribe visit http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/information.ontbirdssetup Posting guidelines can be found at http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/information.ontbirdsguide

