Greetings Ken, Lillian, and others - Last week on July 30 (Tuesday) I also observed a pair (male and female) of White-crowned Sparrows on the Cemetery Road Side Trail in Lion's Head Nature Preserve. I mistakenly didn't think that much of it, being a bit behind in taking my notes and converting them into eBird reports I didn't notice that this would be rare for the Bruce (I just assumed they stuck around for the summer). The pair was in a bush on the north side of the trail, and there was no question in my mind they were both White-crowned sparrows, the calls and markings were correct.
I passed by that spot again later in the week but did not observe them at that time. Cemetery Side Trail can be accessed via Cemetery Road, south of Lion's Head Ontario from the dead end. Cheers Rob On Mon, Aug 5, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Ken Burrell <[email protected]> wrote: > This morning at 10:30 Lillian and I saw a White-crowned Sparrow at the > Cabot Head Bird Observatory. It was seen close to the main buildings. We > had good looks, and needless to say we were fairly surprised to see it. > > We also had a close encounter with a large Massassauga Rattlesnake on the > road into the bird observatory! > > Things were pretty quiet this weekend on the Bruce, however, Lillian saw a > pair of N. Goshawks first thing this AM along Warner Bay Road, SE of > Tobermory. > > Directions: driving north on Hwy. 6, turn right onto Dyers Bay Road. Take > this until the end of the road at Dyers Bay, turning right onto Cabot Head > Road. Total time from the hwy. is roughly 15-20 minutes. > > Good Birding, > Lillian Knopf and Ken Burrell > Waterloo, ON > > _______________________________________________ > ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial > birding organization. > Send bird reports to [email protected] > For information about ONTBIRDS including how to unsubscribe visit > http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/information.ontbirdssetup > > _______________________________________________ ONTBIRDS is presented by the Ontario Field Ornithologists - the provincial birding organization. Send bird reports to [email protected] For information about ONTBIRDS including how to unsubscribe visit http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/information.ontbirdssetup

