I spent from 11:30 am to 2:30 pm looking for the Curlew Sandpiper at Rockpoint with no luck ! once again a one day wonder like the others I have gone looking for in Ont. But a nice day to walk the park
Craig McLauchlan -----Original Message----- From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Thomas Sent: Tuesday, August 17, 2004 2:36 AM To: ontbirds Subject: [Ontbirds]Curlew Sandpiper at Rockpoint Hi, Sorry for the late posting, but today August16th at around 4:45 Dave Sked and I were birding the shoreline at Rockpoint P.P. and while we were trying to get a better look at a single Dunlin, a group of small Sandpipers suddenly arrived and landed in front of us. Among this small mixed flock of Semi-palmated and Least Sandpipers was a Curlew Sandpiper in full Breeding Plumage. When I first saw this big ball of orange with the naked eye, I didn't know what to make of it (I have never seen a C. Sandpiper outside of a field guide) so I rushed back to my scope trying to rifle through my Petersons field guide at the same time, and there it was Curlew Sandpiper.....unmistakable. The C.Sandpiper was seen at the eastern end of Rockpoint Beach and east of the wooden lookout tower. The bird was still there when we left the area at about 5:30 p.m. To get to Rockpoint..........Take regional rd.3 east of Dunnville go through Stromness, and turn right (west) on Rymer rd. then turn left on Downey rd. and then right on Niece rd. where you will find the Park entrance. There is a fee to enter the Park. Good luck...........Tom Thomas. _______________________________________________ ONTBIRDS mailing list [email protected] To join or leave ONTBIRDS visit http://mailman.hwcn.org/mailman/listinfo/ontbirds ONTBIRDS Guidelines may be viewed at http://www.ofo.ca/ontbirdsguide.htm

