Just wanted to update the thread with latest developments:

I created a feature request on the Google Android Forum, and while the 
status is still marked 'New', I did get a reply. Hopefully, this will be 
available in future.
But, as I cannot wait till that happens, I have planned to go ahead with my 
implementation(using the above mentioned algorithm).
I am using a View to draw the heatmap, and then pass one the bitmap to a 
ground overlay.
Unfortunately, both TileOverlay and GroundOverlay are final classes, and so 
I cannot do extend them to do it my way.

Here is a link to the request: 
https://code.google.com/p/gmaps-api-issues/issues/detail?id=5534&q=apitype%3DAndroid2&sort=-id%20-status%20project&colspec=ID%20Type%20Status%20Introduced%20Fixed%20Summary%20Stars%20Internal%20Project%20Apitype

As you see, I was told to prefer TileOverlay over GroundOverlay, but am not 
sure how to do that, because the the transparent view I create is over the 
map-view, and its dimension is controlled by the screen size(match-parent), 
from where i get the screen location for each latlng point, and not the map 
itself. So if a point is not visible, then it will not be drawn by the 
algorithm(this was not intended, i am not able to find a workaround right 
now).
I feel, I will have the same issue with TileOverlay, as the image 
generated, will be only for the part visible on screen, and so I decided to 
go with GroundOverlay, which was much simpler.

I would really appreciate if anyone is willing to share ideas to make this 
better.

[Unfortunately I cannot post code online.]



On Friday, 21 June 2013 14:20:56 UTC-4, raj wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to generate a heatmap, based on a set of LatLng points in 
> Android Maps v2.
> I am using the algorithm from here: 
> http://blog.furiousbob.com/2011/05/12/heating-up-my-new-xoom-tablet/
> I have gone through some examples online, but it uses Overlays which is 
> not just deprecated, but removed from the v2 of Maps API.
>
> I have been told that I can achieve the same using TileOverlay, which I 
> would like to try, but am unable to find even a simple example of it, which 
> does not use UrlTileProvider or pre-created set of images.
>
> I can use a View to generate the heatmap as a bitmap(via the view canvas), 
> but there dosen't seems to be anyway to map the bitmap to Tiles. 
>
> PS: Currently, I am placing this view over the map, which needs a lot of 
> re-computations when the map is panned or zoomed, and would want to avoid 
> that.
>
> Please let me know if anyone has any recommendations.
>
> Best,
> R
>

-- 
-- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
Groups "Android Developers" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at
http://groups.google.com/group/android-developers?hl=en
--- 
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"Android Developers" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email 
to [email protected].
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/groups/opt_out.


Reply via email to