You are correct: damaged tape? No moving the data. What you can do is mark the tape as destroyed (assuming this is a primary pool tape) and do a restore volume command on it. If it is a copy pool tape, then delete the volume by issuing delete volume volser discardd=yes (note: this is a big hammer).
To restore the volume from copy pool tapes: Restore vol volser preview=yes This command will tell you which copy pool tapes you need to restore the volume. Find them, check them into the library. Then Restore volume volser Now, all that said, there is no urgency to any of this. You may well want to wait until your TSM admin is back and let him/her do the work. Kelly J. Lipp VP Manufacturing & CTO STORServer, Inc. 485-B Elkton Drive Colorado Springs, CO 80907 719-266-8777 [EMAIL PROTECTED] -----Original Message----- From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Jon Adams Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 11:03 AM To: [email protected] Subject: [ADSM-L] Removing defective tape from library Hi, I am covering for our TSM Admin this week and ran into something I haven't had to do in a while. We have a defective tape that has been physically removed from a drive in library. Once removed, I see that it is physically damaged and cannot be used again. I believe I know how to check it out by using: "checkout libvol l700 <tapenum> remove=no checklabel=no force=yes". But I'm wondering if I should move the data (it sounds logical), before I remove the tape from the database? I think the command to mark the tape as read only is (it's currently 'unavailable'): "update vol <tapenum> access=unavailable" and then to move the data is "move data <tapenum>" but if I can't put the tape back into the library, how am I going to move the data...? Perhaps I am making this more complicated than it should. Any help and/or confirmation would be greatly appreciated. With regards, _______________________________________________ Jon R. Adams Senior Systems Engineer IT Datacenter Operations and Hosting, OSS MLT, Building 4F1, J-5 Premera Blue Cross Confidentiality Notice: this e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient (s) and may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.
