On Jul 27, 2005, at 8:17 AM, Debbie Bassler wrote:

Currently, we have a 3494 tape library and 3590 tape drives and
3590 tapes.
We are planning to get a couple of 3592 tape drives. My question
is, will
we be able to use the 3590 tapes in the 3592 tape drives? I would
think
since the capacity of the 3590 tapes is only 20G/40G it would not
be a good
idea to use them.  Also, I'm not sure how the write speed would be
effected
if we use these tapes. I assume there are 3592 tapes which have a
larger
capacity and write speed.

Debbie -

Refer to the manual "IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Tape System 3592
Introduction and Planning Guide", where on page 5 it says:

"Model 3592 tape cartridges are not compatible with 3590 tape drives,
and, likewise, 3590 tapes cannot be used in the 3592 drives."

3592 is a technology departure, as 3590 was to 3490.

Another good reference is redpaper "IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Tape
3592: Presentation Guide";
and there is the "IBM TotalStorage Enterprise Tape Cartridge 3592"
brochure (G225-6987).

  Richard Sims

Reply via email to