Hi,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2024 at 03:18:58PM +0200, Angela Dall'Ara wrote:
> We encourage you to review this proposal and send your comments to
> [email protected] before 12 November 2024.

I'm somewhat neutral on the *need* for this change - a /29 is quite
a huge block of addresses (= only few networks will not be able to
fit into it) and - coming frmo a /35 - I do not see "DNS is made easier"
as a compelling reason - this is setup once for the top level domain
or domains ("8 ip6.arpa zones for a /29"), and then the much more interesting
question on "how to deal with possibly zillions of records and subdomains?"
starts.

This said, I do not see much harm in this - the numbers permit doing /28s
as minimum size for LIRs.

OTOH, I do not see the need to state "/32 *or* /28" in the policy document,
because both the NCC and the LIRs will need to deal with non-nibble-sized
allocations forever - so forcing this now ("I need a /31, but have to
take a /28, why?") is not something I'd go for.

   "allocation of /32 up to /28"

would do the job for those who want a /28 just fine.

(JFTR, we have a /32 that came from being a /35 - and it has never been
extended to a /29, because, why?  We're never going to fill it, unless
our business model changes in very significantly).


Short answer: neutral on the /28 thing, but permit a range.

Gert Doering
        -- NetMaster
-- 
have you enabled IPv6 on something today...?

SpaceNet AG                      Vorstand: Sebastian v. Bomhard, Ingo Lalla,
                                           Karin Schuler, Sebastian Cler
Joseph-Dollinger-Bogen 14        Aufsichtsratsvors.: A. Grundner-Culemann
D-80807 Muenchen                 HRB: 136055 (AG Muenchen)
Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444         USt-IdNr.: DE813185279

Attachment: signature.asc
Description: PGP signature

-----
To unsubscribe from this mailing list or change your subscription options, 
please visit: 
https://mailman.ripe.net/mailman3/lists/address-policy-wg.ripe.net/
As we have migrated to Mailman 3, you will need to create an account with the 
email matching your subscription before you can change your settings. 
More details at: https://www.ripe.net/membership/mail/mailman-3-migration/

Reply via email to