> On 4 Oct 2022, at 15:25, denis walker <[email protected]> wrote:
> 
> Colleagues
> 
> I have many things to say about this proposal but I will start with a
> response to Sander's concern.
> 
> On Tue, 4 Oct 2022 at 13:53, Sander Steffann <[email protected]> wrote:
>> 
>> Hi,
>> 
>>>> To break it down by rationale:
>>>> 
>>>> "One of the main reasons for registering IPv4 PA assignments was that LIRs 
>>>> could show their use of IPv4 and thus justify the request for an 
>>>> additional IPv4 allocation from the RIPE NCC. However, this requirement 
>>>> has become obsolete since the RIPE NCC ran out of IPv4 addresses in 2019."
>>> 
>>> This merely means that this particular reason is no longer relevant for 
>>> IPv4 addresses.
>> 
>> Justifying getting more PA Allocations was never the reason to document PA 
>> Assignments in the RIPE database. Its purpose is to document who to contact 
>> for administrative and technical issues concerning the IP addresses. Being 
>> able to use that data to verify that IP addresses are actually in use before 
>> allocating more was just a useful side effect.
>> 
>> I therefore oppose this rationale. I know that organisations are lazy and 
>> only properly document assignments when they want the benefits for 
>> themselves (i.e. getting another allocation). I think there is a more 
>> important decision to make here: do we still want this level of 
>> documentation for operational purposes?
> 
> Again we are back to asking the question, "What is the purpose of the
> RIPE Database in 2022?”

My guess is that the fact the initial query protocol was called WHOIS and not 
WHATIS or even WHEREIS might be a good hint.

Joao



-- 

To unsubscribe from this mailing list, get a password reminder, or change your 
subscription options, please visit: 
https://lists.ripe.net/mailman/listinfo/address-policy-wg

Reply via email to