Hi Kai,

Responding below, in-line.

Regards,
Jordi
 
 

-----Mensaje original-----
De: address-policy-wg <[email protected]> en nombre de Kai 
'wusel' Siering <[email protected]>
Organización: Unseen University, Department of Magic Mails
Fecha: miércoles, 16 de mayo de 2018, 20:37
Para: <[email protected]>
Asunto: [address-policy-wg] 2018-02 Assignment Clarification in IPv6 Policy - 
comments from today meeting

    Hi there,
    
    on 16.05.2018 17:33, JORDI PALET MARTINEZ via address-policy-wg wrote:
    > So, to make sure I understood your point. You think that a single /128 
prefix is ok to be sub-assigned (as per the current policy), but a single /64 
prefix is not?
    > Or you will agree in a change that only fix that?
    
    I think that the current text serves it's purpose and _can_ be understood 
in the way it was intended to (i. e. countering the, non-standard, RIPE NCC 
idea that using SLAAC or DHCPv6 constitutes an act of sub-assigning addresses, 
forbidden as per section 2.6).

[Jordi] So there is a contradiction here, because according you, only if you 
use manual setup, then it will not be a sub-assignment?
    
    If you read it while suffering from an overdose of technical writings, a 
normal reaction could be "R U kidding me? Addresses, even plural, but not 
prefixes — does not compute".
    
    I do *not* agree that _that paragraph_ needs another band-aid.

[Jordi] The fact that you and I are interpreting different things, shows 
clearly, that the text is not good.
    
    I think that rough consensus should be sought on what uses by the 
assignment holder of assigned IPv6 space are considered ok. Afterwards, 
amending the policy at least should be more easy — if still considered 
necessary by then.
    
    > Regarding the specific wording, you're totally right and we should decide 
*if* there is a way to re-formulate it.
    
    I think we should keep it as it is, take a step back and consider what 
issue, if any, there is. Frankly, I do not see one ATM; policy texts should not 
try to micromanage the readers mind, IMO.
    
    > That's the reason I initially suggested, even when discussing 2016-04, 
that the text should be only in the IPv6 PI section ... the consensus was in 
the other direction.
    
    Well, the current policy does allow »minor« third-party-usage for any (note 
the word) assigned IPv6 space. Previously, adopting RIPE NCCs view on SLAAC 
being an act of address assignment, no-one was allowed to run a Guest WiFi or 
similar with RIPE area assigned IPv6 space, PA or PI — as sub-assignments were 
(and are) forbidden and providing a third party with single addresses out of an 
assignment holder's addresses constituted a sub-assignment according to RIPE 
NCC (this is now fixed per policy in ripe-699's section 2.6). So, if you agree 
with RIPE NCCs view, 2.6 is the correct location. If not, the policy maybe was 
fine and the issue lay elsewhere.


[Jordi] Again, then because I'm using latest standards which allow me to use 
/64 per hosts, it means I can't use it. We have moved the limit to a single 
address while it was NONE. The community can decide then to move to a single 
prefix, or why not, later to several /64 prefixes ... Thinks about that please.
    
    > This is the big problem in my opinion, and I actually forgot the mention 
it before. I think policy must be as much as possible, a text which has only 
one interpretation, even if that means it is longer. Otherwise, and I explained 
this in emails when discussing 2016-04, people that "follows" the policy 
process has advantage in terms of interpretation vs a newcomer that will read 
only the *policy text*, but not the impact analysis, and all the discussions 
used to clarify the policy text.
    
    I totally disagree with you on this. The more words go into a policy, the 
more loopholes are opened, which then have to backfill with new wordings, 
leading to pages after pages of policy text. A policy text should be easy to 
understand (especially for non-native speakers of the english language ;)), 
give a guideline on what use case it expects to cover and at all costs refrain 
from giving examples. The thing with examples is that, from my experience, they 
invite people to game the rules.

[Jordi] Again, newcomers have a disadvantage if the policy text is not clear 
enough and provides different interpretations vs the impact analysis, because 
the impact analysis is not *referenced* at the policy manual with every policy 
change (which will be way to complex).

    
    Please don't overengineer the policies.
 
[Jordi] On the other way around, I'm trying to make sure that 1) the text is 
more clear or 2) we simplify all the mess by removing IPv6 PI
   
    Regards,
    -kai
    
    
    



**********************************************
IPv4 is over
Are you ready for the new Internet ?
http://www.consulintel.es
The IPv6 Company

This electronic message contains information which may be privileged or 
confidential. The information is intended to be for the exclusive use of the 
individual(s) named above and further non-explicilty authorized disclosure, 
copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information, even if 
partially, including attached files, is strictly prohibited and will be 
considered a criminal offense. If you are not the intended recipient be aware 
that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this 
information, even if partially, including attached files, is strictly 
prohibited, will be considered a criminal offense, so you must reply to the 
original sender to inform about this communication and delete it.





Reply via email to