On Fri, 2 Oct 2026 12:24:12 -0400
Dan Cross <[email protected]> wrote:

> >
> > So I added:
> >         secstore=tcp!fe80::a9e:1ff:fe34:c497!5356
> > to plan9.ini,
> 
> So I'd be very careful with that.  That is not an IPv6 loopback
> address (the IPv6 loopback address is ::1), that is an IPv6 link-local
> address, which is not routed, but _is_ visible on your local network.
> 
> It's probably not a big deal, but if you're running `secstored` on
> that address, then anyone who's on the local network segment can try
> and access your secstore.
> 

Good call, thank you for the reminder. 

I've finally found out how to properly configure the loopback
-- the man pages, I'm afraid, don't seem to contain correct information
about #λ for 9front in `loopback(3)` -- so for the sake of anyone
looking for this in the future, I've got secstore running _properly
locally_ with:

``` plan9.ini
secstore=tcp!::1!5356
```

```
term% tail -6 /bin/termrc
ip/ipconfig -P loopback /dev/null 127.1
ip/ipconfig -P loopback /dev/null ::1

auth/secstored -s $secstore

dontkill [...snip...]
```

I added the loopback configuration to the end in termrc because if I
did so earlier on it would interfere with network bringup if I am
reading the script correctly. This seems to work well.

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: 
https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tcf9c4dd764d4b456-M5412644c3707e339445991b8
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

Reply via email to