So when you snarf a line and paste it, if you included the system prompt, that 
should run the command, as your prompt is a function with arguments of the 
command and flags, 

-- 
  Mat Kovach
  [email protected]

On Sat, Oct 3, 2026, at 22:22, Skip Tavakkolian wrote:
> just to be sure, the interesting part of the quiz isn't the prompt but
> the function and why it is useful.
>
> but of course, if you have a dynamic prompt, then the fn example in
> the quiz would also need to be created for every prompt which would
> pollute /env a fair bit.
>
> On Sat, Oct 3, 2026 at 7:08 AM Lyndon Nerenberg (VE7TFX/VE6BBM)
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> Skip Tavakkolian writes:
>> > suppose i have these lines in the cpu section of my $home/lib/profile:
>> >
>> > prompt=3D($sysname^'% ' ' ')
>> > fn $sysname^%{ $* }
>> >
>> > what is the utility of the func on the second line?
>> :-)
>>
>> Here is my version from Unix (I have a Plan9 one as well):
>>
>> setprompt () {
>>         PS1=": "$(id -un)@$(hostname|sed 's;\..*$;;'):$(pwd -L|sed -e 
>> s%${HOME}%~%)'; '
>> }
>> cd () {
>>         command cd "$@" && setprompt
>> }
>> setprompt
>>
>> This works with just about every Unix shell, although I stay
>> parked in ksh whenever possible.
>>
>> The 'sed' fragmant can probably be removed and '-s' added to the
>> hostname command.  It's there from days gone by when one of the
>> Unixen I used didn't support -s.  And I find including the path is
>> immensely helpful.  In some cases, I will left-truncate it at
>> 32-or-so chars.  Not an issue on plan9 as if I get that deep into
>> a diretory maze, I just bind it to a shorter name.
>>
>> --lyndon

------------------------------------------
9fans: 9fans
Permalink: 
https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/Tfc2f1095f79c2bb7-M89618ab63a9ff8cfa8d8942f
Delivery options: https://9fans.topicbox.com/groups/9fans/subscription

Reply via email to